There is a lot of confusion in the IT market about the use of this words
Looking back at history (IT history and me as an elder in it):
During the 1970's new technologies definitely started with the military.
During the 80s and 90s it was business needs that guided innovation.
Now it is the private individual who is the focus of IT innovation...
This is called consumerization of IT, new technology to the consumer market ahead of business markets.
Commoditization and Interchangeable
• market based on undifferentiated products
• Commoditization usually leads to lower prices since undifferentiated products produce perfect competition
• Some technology products are certainly becoming interchangeable but what's really commoditizing?
• Not software, not hardware, not services, ONLY broadband
• False commoditization can create substantial risk when premier products (substantial additional value to offer) are more expensive .
don’t confuse INTERCHANGABLE and COMMODITIZATION
Interchangable means that certain products can meet certain expectations not equally but enough
FINALLY: STANDARIZATION which we all need